Gummies are one of the most popular candies today and for a good reason. They taste great, come in various flavors, and are relatively healthy when infused with all-natural ingredients and vitamins. If you’re looking for a way to get your daily dose of CBD and still enjoy a sweet treat, gummies are the answer.
There are many different types of CBD gummies on the market. Each CBD gummy comes in various flavors, shapes, sizes, and the specific type of hemp extract used in the gummy formulation.
The addition of hemp extracts in gummies seems to increase the nutritional value of this timeless confectionery product. Besides curiosity, this added value is perhaps the main reason millions of consumers have already purchased them.
Origin Of CBD
According to Dr. Raphael Mechoulam in his renowned research on Cannabis and CBD Products, the use of CBD goes back to Ancient Syria, where people used it for all the benefits that the cannabis plant offers.
In the research mentioned above, Dr. Mechoulam says how Cannabis was also used medicinally by Queen Elizabeth to help her cope with her menstrual cycle and painful migraines.
So, how did CBD end up in chewy candies, and what are CBD-infused Gummies?
What Are CBD Gummies?
Since you more than likely already know what a gummy is, we believe that a better way to answer this question would be to invite you to read our article on, What is CBD?
Nonetheless, CBD gummies are Cannabidiol-infused, hemp-derived, gelatin-based edibles sold in many different shapes, sizes, colors, and CBD potencies. For added transparency, Cannabidiol gummies are traditional gummy candies that are either sprayed, soaked, or infused with Cannabidiol (CBD).
CBD product manufacturers can extract Cannabidiol from marijuana and hemp plants; however, the CBD potency in hemp plants is much higher than that in marijuana plants; this makes hemp plants the preferred and legal plant of choice.
Common Misspellings & Typos
Here is a list of the most common misspellings of CBD gummies that you will find online:
Outside of these typos, Cannabidiol gummies have also accumulated the following three aliases.
CBD Gummies vs. Hemp Gummies vs. Cannabis Gummies
First and foremost, gummies are gummies; we’re here to clarify the similarities and differences between CBD, Hemp, and Cannabis.
Here are the facts:
- CBD is a unique Cannabinoid, not a plant.
- Hemp is a specific plant, not a Cannabinoid. The scientific name for Hemp is Cannabis-Sativa (C.Sativa), which belongs to the Cannabis genus.
- Cannabis is the genus name, and C.Sativa is a subspecies of Cannabis of the family of Cannabaceae.
In layman’s terms, CBD is a Cannabinoid, Hemp is a plant, and Cannabis is the genus name of the plant species.
Cannabis Gummies Expert Weighs In
To get to the bottom of the differences between CBD, Hemp, and Cannabis gummies, we asked a Cannabis gummy expert, Christopher Visser, owner of THCGummies.com and Cannabidiol Life, for enlightenment.
“CBD gummies and hemp gummies are more than likely the same product, as neither CBD-infused nor Hemp-extract-infused products are manufactured to get consumers high.”
In 2018, the FDA passed a bill that made CBD legal only if the CBD was derived from industrial hemp plants. In Chris’s opinion, this bill was one of the two leading causes of why CBD and Hemp began being interchangeably used when referring to CBD gummies.
“Once the 2018 farm bill passed, most CBD brands wanted to ensure that government regulatory officials knew their gummies were Hemp-derived. The other reason was that online retail conglomerates and superstores like Amazon, eBay, and Google Marketplace don’t allow CBD gummies to be sold on their platforms; however, they do allow the sale of hemp gummies.”
What about Cannabis Gummies, Chris?
“Cannabis gummies are a little trickier to explain because Cannabis is the parent name for Marijuana and Cannabis-Sativa, AKA Hemp. With that said, I can assure you that no one with experience selling CBD products and knowledge of the law would ever call a CBD gummy or hemp gummy a Cannabis gummy.”
So there you have it. If someone says hemp ‘cannabis gummies,’ more often than not, they’re referring to marijuana gummies or THC gummies, and these types of products are federally illegal and they’ll get you high.
The Different Types Of CBD Gummies: Which Is Better?
Besides the fact that edible hemp gummies come in different shapes, sizes, flavors, and colors like OTC candies, there are four specific types of CBD products that you must consider before purchasing.
- Full-Spectrum CBD Gummies contain all of the natural chemical compounds in hemp plants, including trace amounts of the psychotropic compound – Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Due to how the Entourage Effect works, this is deemed the most effective type of CBD gummy on the market.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD Gummies contain most of the naturally occurring chemical compounds of hemp. However, these products undergo a refining process to eliminate any detectable THC molecules for people who do not wish or cannot have THC in their system. This product is considered the second most effective type of CBD product.
- Pure CBD Gummies do not offer any other hemp compound other than Cannabidiol. Pure CBD products are the only product that can legally be called “THC-FREE,” it is considered the third most effective type of CBD product. This rating is because pure CBD products lack the crucial terpenes and phytocannabinoids in Broad Spectrum and Full Spectrum CBD.
- Water-Soluble CBD Gummies are gummies that use quantum molecular science to wrap Cannabidiol molecules in water molecules. Thus, making them more readily bioavailable. This may seem like the best CBD option, but consuming CBD in this fashion isn’t considered “naturally derived,” and there is no current evidence of its safety.
Dosage: How Many CBD Gummies Should You Take?
When doing an online Google search for “CBD gummies” on May 25, 2022, we found that typically, gummies infused with CBD contain between 10mg and 25mg per gummy. According to TheHealthy.com, the ranges of CBD gummies vary from five milligrams to hundreds of milligrams.
With that said, CBD gummies, 25mg per piece, seem the most popular and the go-to standard of CBD gummy potency that CBD brands offer for daily health and wellness purposes.
Here is a body-weight based dosing guide that shows you how many CBD gummies you should take when daily health and wellness is the goal.
QUESTION: Do people turn to CBD for daily health and wellness or something direr?
In our experience, people willing to try CBD for the first time seek relief from more severe health concerns.
If this is the case for you, the above photo is NOT for you.
And here’s why.
The standard recommendation provided by the only FDA-approved CBD product, Epidolex, is 100mg of CBD per dose. Epidolex is used to treat a form of Epilepsy.
Resources To Ensure CBD Gummy Dosing Accuracy
- 25mg-75mg of CBD (one-three 25mg gummies) is the suggested amount if you want to take CBD for daily wellness.
- 100mg of CBD (four 25mg gummies) is the baseline standard suggested CBD dose for more severe issues.
If you still are unclear on how many CBD gummies you should take, here are three great resources and advice to consider:
How To Use CBD Gummies And When To Take Them
All cannabinoids are highly hydrophobic and lipophilic; they do not dissolve in water. So, unless you’re consuming water-soluble CBD gummies, you should take them with fatty-rich meals, MCTs preferably.
It is best to consume CBD before a meal or with a fatty-rich meal. CBD gets ingested and absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract. Furthermore, according to Drugbank.com, CBD is metabolized in the liver by several cytochrome P450 isoenzymes.
Here’s why this is important:
- Our bodies produce specific liver enzymes that help digest the foods we eat to make the food’s nutrients more bioavailable.
- These liver enzymes are naturally used and depleted by eating a big meal.
- Thus, taking CBD after a meal risks depleting the necessary digestive liver enzymes before the CBD reaches the liver.
- If these liver enzymes become depleted before the arrival of CBD in your liver, CBD won’t be able to be digested, and you will not get the CBD experience you are seeking.
Eat CBD gummies when you wake up and follow it with a healthy protein and fatty-rich meal.
“If you WIN the morning, you WIN the day.” – Tim Ferriss.
The Benefits: Reasons Why People Buy CBD Gummies
Hemp extracts, which get infused into the gummy formulation, contain beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, omegas, and fatty acids. These individual compounds offer nutritional value and support for an internal management system of several vital biological functions known as the Endocannabinoid System.
Before we dive deeper into the potential health and wellness benefits of CBD-rich hemp gummies, here is a list of reasons why consumers prefer CBD gummies over other CBD products:
- As opposed to the raw, natural taste of crude hemp oil, being in gummy form favors its consumption and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
- Safer than CBD vapes.
- Oral CBD consumption affects the bloodstream for total body relief, while CBD topical products are more beneficial for targeted applications.
- Very discreet and transportable.
- CBD dosing accuracy! Gummies offer a preset amount of milligrams of CBD per serving, allowing you to take your suggested CBD dose confidently.
Potential Health Benefits Based On Scientific And Medical Research
People consume gummies for the same reason as other CBD products – relief from pain, stress, anxiety, sleeplessness, and other psychological issues such as Migraines. However, most studies showing the benefits of CBD were on animals, not humans.
According to Project CBD, CBD gummies have a longer-lasting effect, making them more suitable for many chronic conditions. Also, from Project CBD, in a 2019 study, there was a significant improvement in pains and moods of people without any underlying medical conditions.
Incorporating cannabidiol hemp oil gummies into your everyday routine might help support various aspects of a healthy and active lifestyle. Due to its natural interaction with our Endocannabinoid System, daily use of CBD-infused gummies could provide you with a wide range of health benefits.
Here is a shortlist of the possible health benefits might experience:
Improved stress management
Reduced discomfort and fatigue
Support for post-exercise recovery
Overall feelings of relaxation
Enhanced mental clarity and balance
Due to its calming properties and no evidence insinuating safety issues, CBD might also be beneficial for sleep support at night. While CBD might seem like the go-to cannabinoid for sleep, we recommend checking out CBN gummies.
Key Points To Take Away
According to a study published on the NIH (National Institutes of Health) website, CBD has so much potential for many different health issues.
In the research and medical world, “potential” cannot be misconstrued for “fact.” According to the majority of all published CBD research study conclusions, more research is needed to determine the true efficacy of CBD in order to determine, specifically, what CBD can and cannot treat.
How To Make CBD Gummies From Home (DIY)
Today, CBD is present in every imaginable product possible, specifically in the form of edibles. Here are the three most common ways to make the highest-quality cannabinoid gummies:
Gummies produced in this way incorporate one of the extraction methods into a water or oil-based adhesive concoction that will stick and dry on gummies.
This option is the most common, cost-effective, and straightforward way to spike the CBD potency of already hemp-infused gummies for an extra kick. This manufacturing option gets commonly paired with the “Tossed” option below.
Tossed (Most Common)
Gummies tossed in CBD isolate. This name describes the method used by CBD manufacturers. This method can also be called, Tossed CBD Gummies or Rolled CBD Gummies.
Generally, these gummies get tossed in a premeasured amount of CBD isolate mixed with a few other hand-picked ingredients that stick directly to the outside of the hemp gummy.
Infused (Best Quality)
These delicious hemp gummy delights get infused with CBD at the ingredient mixing stage. They may contain CBD oil or CBD powder within the mixture before production.
Infused gummies may have an herb or plant-like taste, often sweetened or enhanced for a more natural feel and integrity.
If you are considering making your own CBD gummies, please make sure you understand the laws and regulations in your area.
Local Laws, Federal Regulations, And Disclaimers
According to a bill passed in the USA, the H.R.2 – Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, AKA “Farm Bill of 2018”, only CBD products derived from industrial hemp plants that contain a THC percentage of 0.3% THC or less on a dry-weight basis are legal.
Here are some bullet points to know and remember:
- CBD derived from Marijuana plants is considered illegal at the federal level.
- Must be 18 years or older to buy.
- Do not consume if the tamper-evident seal is damaged or broken.
- Always consult your primary care physician or medical practitioner before use, especially if you take any prescription medications.
- The products listed are not intended to diagnose, cure, or prevent any health or medical condition.
- The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has not evaluated these statements or products for safety or efficacy.
How To Find The Best CBD Gummies Online
Any credible edible manufacturer could offer a CBD-rich product by adding CBD to the ingredient mix.
Innovative CBD companies always seek to go above and beyond by raising the CBD industry bar of standards. Accomplishing this is how any CBD company can uniquely differentiate itself and become the go-to online seller of the best CBD gummies in the CBD market.
Use the checklist below as a starting point to help you source the highest-quality CBD gummies.
Checklist: What To Know Before You Buy
To be considered the best, find Cannabidiol gummy suppliers that adhere following:
No GMOs – Suppliers use organic hemp extracts and all-natural ingredients. In the health and wellness supplement arena, artificial dyes, artificial colors, and GMO ingredients are frowned upon.
Licensed Medical Professionals – Make sure your CBD supplier works hand-in-hand with a medical professional to ensure that the information provided is accurate and your health is the main focus.
Product Innovations – Find the “unique” factor in order to differentiate one CBD gummy supplier from the next. Look for suppliers that offer proprietary formulas with several added nutraceutical botanical ingredients. These additional ingredients further enhance the efficacy and effectiveness of CBD gummies beyond the purported benefits of CBD.
Certificate of Analysis – It is vital to ensure that the gummy supplier offers a third-party lab report indicating the individual cannabinoid potencies found in each CBD gummy. In addition, some suppliers will also have Full Panel Lab Testing available, which ensures no heavy metals or harmful pesticides are detected.
Transparency – Make sure you know who you’re buying from and double-check the list of names of the CBD brands that have received warning letters from the FDA.
Customer Testimonials With 5-Star Ratings – Customer reviews are a sure way to get accurate feedback on the efficacy of a product. Websites can write fake reviews, so look for brands that use third-party product review acquisition services to ensure the testimonials are not fake.
Stand The Tests of Time – Verify how long the CBD brand has been in business. We recommend CBD brands with a minimum of 5 years of active and good business standing.
CBD Gummy Guarantee – Look for a supplier that offers a risk-free purchase, such as a 100% satisfaction guarantee with money-back if results are not met. Product guarantees are a great indicator of a high-quality product.
What Our Customers Say About Our CBD Gummies
If you click on any of the CBD gummies reviews found below, you’ll be directed to TrustPilot.com, a globally trusted third-party online review acquisition company.